Frequently Asked Questions – Voice over LTE (4G)
What is VoLTE?
VoLTE stands for ‘Voice over Long Term Evolution’, which is part of mobile high-speed wireless communication standards. That means voice calls will work on 4G networks (domestic and roaming), and on our 5G network (domestic).
What are the benefits of VoLTE?
Using VoLTE means you’ll experience crystal clear audio on your calls (reduced background noise) and a quicker call connection. VoLTE supports 4G to 3G handover to ensure call continuity and a smooth experience. This also means less disruption when downloading content and simultaneously receiving calls.
How to get enabled for 4G Calling:
1. Check whether you are within a 4G Calling/VoLTE coverage area, using our 4G coverage map. One NZ will continue to roll out VoLTE, so if you are not within coverage yet, keep checking. As of August 2023, we have started rolling out VoLTE coverage in certain roaming destinations with some of our partner networks, which will expand over time.
2. Check whether your phone supports VoLTE and/or VoLTE roaming. List of VoLTE capable Phones.
3. You need to ensure your firmware is updated. If needed, you can prompt this update yourself.
4. You need to ensure VoLTE is enabled in your device settings.
- Android devices have VoLTE turned on by default. However, if you need to manually turn VoLTE on your Android phone, just follow these simple steps:
- Android phone users – Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Toggle VoLTE Calls ‘ON’
- Currently, iPhones only have a basic VoLTE capability and is turned off by default. To manually turn VoLTE on your iPhone, just follow these simple steps:
- iPhone users – Go to Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Options> Voice and Data > Toggle VoLTE ‘ON’
5. To use 4G Calling while roaming, you need to ensure you are on an eligible One NZ Pay Monthly plan. All of our current in-market plans include VoLTE roaming.
Note: if you still can’t connect to VoLTE, try turning your phone on and off again near the mobile cell site. Otherwise your SIM may need to be enabled for VoLTE, so contact us to get this sorted.
When I make a call over VoLTE, does this use my plan data?
When you make a VoLTE call, it will use your plan’s minutes, not your data.
Is roaming within New Zealand or overseas supported by VoLTE?
If you are roaming within New Zealand, you will not have access to VoLTE. You won’t have access to the VoLTE networks of other countries while you are on roaming in those regions.
Will my device make voice calls in a 4G or 4G voice only area?
Only VoLTE compatible devices will be able to make and receive voice calls in an area that has 4G only and no 2G/3G coverage.
How do I know if I am in a 4G or 4G voice only area without 2G/3G coverage?
The coverage map can be used to find these locations. Note that the coverage map is a predictive tool. To find out more call our team on 0800 32 76 74.
Where is VoLTE available?
Farmside offers 4G Calling across New Zealand on the One NZ 4G Network, as well as over the RCG RBI2 sites that are designed to support 4G Calling as they are switched on.