111 Vulnerable Consumer Register

The Commerce Commission's 111 Contact Code (“111 Code”) was created to ensure that Vulnerable Consumers have reasonable access to an appropriate means of calling 111 emergency services in the event of a power failure.  
Newer home phone services such as voice calling over broadband, which rely on an active working broadband service, won’t work in the event of a power failure, without an independent power source. The 111 Code requires Telecommunication Service Providers to provide Vulnerable Consumers with an alternative solution to contact 111 in an emergency.  

If you are receiving Farmside household voice calling over broadband services over Fibre, Satellite or Wireless technology and you, or someone you live with, do not have access to a traditional copper phone line, and is likely to need to contact 111 for health, safety or disability reasons and, you do not have the means to do so during a power failure, please read the information below and fill out a Vulnerable Consumers Application form.
If you qualify, Farmside will provide you with an alternative means of contacting 111 in the event of a power failure, free of charge.


What is a Vulnerable Consumer?

  1. You (or someone in your household) is at particular risk of needing to call 111 emergency services for health, safety, or disability reasons; and
  2. You have a voice calling over broadband service provided over Fibre, Satellite or Wireless technology and you, or someone you live with, do not have access to a traditional copper phone line. Note: The Code only applies to landline voice services. Broadband only customers cannot apply; and
  3. You (or a person in your household) have no means to contact the 111 emergency service at the premises, or the means that you do have can't be operated for a continuous 8-hour period in the event of a power failure.

How do I apply to be on the Vulnerable Consumer Register?

It's super easy to apply. Just download the 111 Contact Code - Vulnerable Consumer Register, fill it out with all the correct details (including any evidence required) and return it to us via email or post.

Email to: customerservices@farmsideltd.co.nz

Post it to: Farmside, PO Box 423, Timaru, 7910

Please note that we cannot fully process your application until we have all the information needed. If we require more information than is provided, we'll be in touch.

Once your application is submitted it can take up to 10 working days for us to process it, after which we will contact you to let you know if your application was successful or not.

Any unsuccessful applications may be disputed.

What if the vulnerable person is unable to complete their application?

Not to worry. If the vulnerable person is unable to submit an application, please provide us with details of a nominated person for us to get in touch with. A nominated person is somebody who, by virtue of their occupation, is capable of verifying that you are at risk of requiring 111 emergency services. Please ensure your nominated person has given you permission before you include them in your application.

Here are a few examples of an acceptable nominated person:
- A health practitioner (like your GP)
- A Police Officer
- Registered social worker
- A lawyer
- A family court judge

If you are a Farmside customer (the Account holder) or a person who is listed as an authority on the customer’s account, you can apply on behalf of yourself, or on behalf of someone who lives at the premises where the home phone line is supplied.

What happens to the information I provide?

Due to the requirements of the Code as set out by the Commerce Commission, there may be instances where your information needs to be shared. By applying, you understand and consent to Farmside sharing your application status with the Commerce Commission. We will never share your information with other third parties that are not related to supporting your status as a Vulnerable Consumer.

What will I receive from Farmside and how will it be installed?

Only one alternative means of contacting 111 will be provided per household. The device provided will be based on your needs in respect of your particular risk as a Vulnerable Consumer. We have until August 2021 to make a device available to eligible vulnerable consumers.

Can I keep the device if I leave Farmside?

If you leave Farmside you will need to return the alternative means of contacting 111 we provided to you. You will also be removed from the Vulnerable Consumer Register.

Indicative List of Eligible Health, Disability and Safety Criteria

Consumers at high risk of personal safety

The support provided under the Vulnerable Consumer service also applies to Consumers and their dependants who are or were in a close relationship with someone who has had a protection order served against them in favour of the applicant.

Consumers at high risk due to disability

  • Sensory Impairment

  • Intellectual Impairment

  • Physical Impairment

If you're unsure whether your medical condition would qualify you for Vulnerable Consumer Registration, please talk to your health practitioner (for example, a doctor).
If you’re unsure whether your safety or disability would qualify you for Vulnerable Consumer Registration, please talk to your local police officer, currently registered social worker, lawyer (with a current practising certificate), or a family court judge.